[Qgis-user] ArcSDE

Andrea Peri 2007 aperi2007 at gmail.com
Sat May 1 00:20:40 PDT 2010

There almost 2 types of arcsde layers.

The single Layers
and the geodatabases's layers.

The first is quite simple because every dataset (table) is isolated from others datasets (tables).
The second is more complex because use all the GDB tables to understand the GIS
constraints between all the tables (datasets).

(ps: the geodatabase is not a relational DB so it don't know and don't use foreign-key and so on.)

-
This second format is supported only from arceditor and arcinfo level of arcgis family products (about 20K$)
-

After this there is another physical level of difference.
ArcSDE can use the esri-native format .
I don't remenber how it is called, but remenber is some like a binary archived
in a blob field.
Or it can use DB native formats like Oracle SDO_Geometry and so on.

I don't know is gvsig can support all this differences perhaps it support
the single-layers structure when used with some DB format like
oracle sdo-geometry ?

Andrea.