[Qgis-user] QGIS Python startup error - Incompatible SIP module

James Meyer jamesm at lantic.net
Sat May 8 08:03:45 PDT 2010

Hi
I am resending this message because the previous attempt was scrubbed as
an HTML attachment.

I recently ran into an error while starting my QGIS application. Based
on the errors below, I assume this is after I manually updated my SIP
libraries to version 9.10.
At startup of QGIS an error is displayed saying that Python cannot be
started and will be disabled.
The following detail is added to the error:

RuntimeError: the sip module implements API v7.0 to v7.1 but the
PyQt4.QtCore module requires API v6.0

This error also prevents me from re-building and installing QGIS from
source. The same error displays at 93% of insalling:
File “/usr/bin/pyuic4″, line 3, in
import PyQt4.uic.pyuic
File “/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/PyQt4/uic/pyuic.py”, line 4, in
from PyQt4 import QtCore
RuntimeError: the sip module implements API v7.0 to v7.1 but the
PyQt4.QtCore module requires API v6.0

I’ve tried removing SIP completely and downloading the QGIS dependencies
from scratch, but the error persists.
Any suggestions on what I should do?

I am running Ubuntu 9.10 32bit

Thanks