[Qgis-user] Quantum GIS + H2 Spatial

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed May 26 21:59:25 PDT 2010

Ana Rocio Castro wrote:
> Hello, I'm starting a management research spatial databases and GIS Desktop,
> so I need to know if they can interact with Quantum GIS handle spatial
> databases H2 Spatial.
>
> Thanks

H2 is a relatively new spatial db format and pretty much limited to
Java, I'm unaware of any non-java application using such a database.
So while it is possible to find a way to get it work with QGIS it might
be faster to use GvSIG or OpenJump which are Java based and share the
geotools backend.

It appears some work has been done on this
http://geoserver.org/display/GEOS/H2+Spatial+Database

One potential other way to go, according to some things on the web H2
supports Postgres style connections, so QGIS might be able to interact
via that. Not sure how similar the H2 spatial structure is to Postgis
though, so you'd have to write a data provider or plugin probably to
translate into OGR specs.

Thanks,
Alex