[Qgis-user] Download points from Garmin GPS 60

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Sat Nov 20 06:08:06 PST 2010

On 11/20/2010 08:03 AM, Noli Sicad wrote:
> As mentioned by Bob, must install the garmin_gps driver / module.
>
> In Terminal
>
> sudo modprobe garmin_gps
>
> I think to make gps working.

In my case, on Ubuntu 10.04, I have to *blacklist* the garmin_gps module
in order for gpsbabel to work.

i.e.:
micha at RMS:~/OSGeo$ grep garmin /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
# most apps now use garmin usb driver directly (Ubuntu: #114565)
blacklist garmin_gps

If not, I get this error:
micha at RMS:~/OSGeo$ sudo modprobe garmin_gps
micha at RMS:~/OSGeo$ sudo lsmod | grep gps
garmin_gps 14947 0
usbserial 33019 2 garmin_gps,cp210x
micha at RMS:~/OSGeo$ gpsbabel -t -i garmin -o gpx -f USB: -F bike_tracks2.gpx
Claim interfaced failed: could not claim interface 0: Device or resource
busy