[Qgis-user] An idea/wish for QGIS

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Nov 25 00:35:51 PST 2010

Yes - I agree that the current way of showing all SVG symbols in one big
list is less than ideal.

One should be able to group them by folders.

Other ideas would be:

* separation of symbols as point symbols and patterns
* thematic grouping (a tree of grid views)
* don't show all symbols at once (would speed up display)
* not only show the filename but also the DC metadata in the SVG file
(this would probably require a sqlite database holding the metadata to
speed up things)

The idea of having a database field pointing to a file or a postgis text
object would also be nice. Storing the SVG symbols in the database is
actually a nice idea, as a central repository. One could store them in a
central Postgis database, or alternatively check them out to SQLite.

Something to discuss as improvements for an upcoming QGIS version.

Andreas

On Thu, November 25, 2010 9:24 am, Jorge Tornero wrote:
> Hi All and Andreas and Tom,
>
> First of all: My apologies for my verbosity and also for haven't
> realized that I could configure the folders via software instead of
> messing around with folders and links. ALso for thinking that it wasn't
> possible to see what svg is loaded. I don't know why but i didn't get
> the mouse over tip with the name of the file. I've seen it in another
> installation of QGis and it is just fine.
>
> Maybe it would be better if the user could browse through the configured
> svg folders instead of having all them in the view. If you use a lot of
> diagrams (and taking into account that all you see is a tiny thumbnail
> of the svg and sometimes they are similar) maybe they will be too much
> for clearly differenciate between them.
>
>  Anyway, the idea of Andreas (symbol by field, say so) is very good, and
> maybe what would be great is to get the svg directly from a BLOB field
> in the database (in the case of PostGIS layers), or the path to the file
> like Andreas suggested. But maybe it would be a vane effort taking in
> account that now it works fine.
>
> In few words: Just making possible to browse the SVG symbols (like now)
> but with the symbols inside their folders.
>
> That would be perfect for me.
>
> Thank you very much for your help
>
> Jorge
>
> --
> Jorge Tornero Núñez
> Centro Oceanográfico de Cádiz
> Instituto Español de Oceanografía
> Puerto Pesquero - Muelle de Levante, s/n
> 11006 Cádiz - España
> Tel. +34 956294189
> Fax. +34 956294232
> www.ieo.es