[Qgis-user] Projection of Shapefile export

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Mon Sep 20 00:01:24 PDT 2010

Brett Adams wrote:

>  Micha,
> Sorry but I can't get your suggestions to work. I tried this a couple
> of times but it fails every time.
>
> Settings->Options-CRS window is already set to "Prompt for CRS"
And when you next import the csv, does it indeed prompt for the CRS?

> Tried changing the global to AGD84 / AMG zone 51, when I reopen the
> window its set to AGD66 so this setting is not holding.
Weird. There's no permissions problems?

> When I reimport the the CSV file the default is still WGS84, despite
> the global been set to AGD84 (or is it AGD66, I can't be sure). Again
> I select AGD84.
>
> Layer > Properties > Specify CRS comes up as AGD66. Changed it to AGD84
>
> When I export the layer, I'm again asked to specify the projection, AGD84
>
> Exported *.prj file still has a datum of "D_unknown". Upon import of
> the shape file, my version of QGIS will now default this to AGD84
> however as the *.prj file is wrong it no good to anyone else.
Here's the prj that I'm getting:

PROJCS["UTM Zone 51, Southern Hemisphere",GEOGCS["Australian Natl & S.
Amer. 1969",DATUM["D_unknown",SPHEROID["aust_SA",6
378160,298.25]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],UNIT["Degree",0.017453292519943295]],PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],PARAMETER["l
atitude_of_origin",0],PARAMETER["central_meridian",123],PARAMETER["scale_factor",0.9996],PARAMETER["false_easting",500000
],PARAMETER["false_northing",10000000],UNIT["Meter",1]]

What should it be? Even tho' it's called "D_unknown" all the parameters
seem to be there.