[Qgis-user] Projection of Shapefile export

Brett Adams badams.spinifex at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 07:11:17 PDT 2010

/Actually, this is worse than I thought. QGIS is not recognising AGD84
or GDA94. The data comes in but isn't attributed a CRS so defaults to WGS84.
If you import the text file as AGD84, then again as GDA94, there should
be approx 195m separation. QGIS plots them in exactly the same place. /

>>  Micha,
>> Sorry but I can't get your suggestions to work. I tried this a couple
>> of times but it fails every time.
>>
>> Settings->Options-CRS window is already set to "Prompt for CRS"
> And when you next import the csv, does it indeed prompt for the CRS?
> /It does. But when I go to Settings>>Project properties the CRS is WGS84./

>> Tried changing the global to AGD84 / AMG zone 51, when I reopen the
>> window its set to AGD66 so this setting is not holding.
> Weird. There's no permissions problems? /Not that I'm aware of. It
> gives me no complaints
> /

>> When I reimport the the CSV file the default is still WGS84, despite
>> the global been set to AGD84 (or is it AGD66, I can't be sure). Again
>> I select AGD84.
>>
>> Layer > Properties > Specify CRS comes up as AGD66. Changed it to AGD84
>>
>> When I export the layer, I'm again asked to specify the projection,
>> AGD84
>>
>> Exported *.prj file still has a datum of "D_unknown". Upon import of
>> the shape file, my version of QGIS will now default this to AGD84
>> however as the *.prj file is wrong it no good to anyone else.
> Here's the prj that I'm getting:
>
> PROJCS["UTM Zone 51, Southern Hemisphere",GEOGCS["Australian Natl & S.
> Amer. 1969",DATUM["D_unknown",SPHEROID["aust_SA",6
> 378160,298.25]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],UNIT["Degree",0.017453292519943295]],PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],PARAMETER["l
> atitude_of_origin",0],PARAMETER["central_meridian",123],PARAMETER["scale_factor",0.9996],PARAMETER["false_easting",500000
> ],PARAMETER["false_northing",10000000],UNIT["Meter",1]]
>
> What should it be? Even tho' it's called "D_unknown" all the
> parameters seem to be there.
/
PRJ file should be something like below. /

PROJCS["AGD84 / AMG zone
51",GEOGCS["AGD84",DATUM["D_Australian_1984",SPHEROID["Australian_National_Spheroid",6378160,298.25]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
UNIT["Degree",0.017453292519943295]],PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",0],PARAMETER["central_meridian",117],

--
Brett Adams
Spinifex Geophysics