[Qgis-user] dbf file

Paul Lens paul.lens at base.be
Sat Sep 25 07:45:21 PDT 2010

  Hi,

As I understand, a dbf file created in QGIS is coded in UTF-8 (Unicode).

QGIS doesn't warn for the type of coding. I got problems using  french
accents to the point I now avoid any accent in dbf files.

I did not try to understand completely what happened: sometimes the
letters are replaced with squares (and the file is saved with that
change), sometimes the file is just read incorrectly and reopening it
with the right encoding makes it all right.

In the case of french letters with accents, if I recall well,dbf files
created under ArcView should be opened in openoffice under the "Western
Europe (Windows-1252/WinLatin 1)" encoding. Sometimes "Western Europe
(DOS/OS2-850/International)" encoding is to be used.

Hope this will help you.

Paul