[Qgis-user] postgis or mysql for a qgis database?

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 04:40:52 PDT 2010

Hi,

I am intrigued by this situation as we plan to incrementally migrate
our basemaps  to a dbase.  Both geospatial dbase are supported in
QGIS.  We have initially tested both and it's running fine with qgis
1.5.  Although our test barely scratched the surface (just import,
display and a few edits).

Reading through regina's review [1]:
"spatial functionality and speed of MySQL significantly lags that of
SQL Server 2008 spatial and PostGIS"

I am curious about the statement, mysql is one of the most widely used
"open source" general purpose database but not very much used for
"geo".

Our plan is to use QGIS as the main data browser but there should be
some option to consume the data in ArcGis.  Any real world scenarios
comparing both database that can help us decide ultimately?

[1] http://www.bostongis.com/PrinterFriendly.aspx?content_name=sqlserver2008_postgis_mysql_compare

PS. I am fairly convinced with using PostGIS but other ideas are
welcome for us to have a more informed decision. :)
--
cheers,
maning