[Qgis-user] postgis or mysql for a qgis database?

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Sep 28 04:48:21 PDT 2010

Hi Maning,

PostgreSQL/Postgis is WWWWWAAAAAYYYYYY more powerful than MySQL in the
geospatial world. It is also in general more powerful than MySQL, although
MySQL improved a lot in the past.

When it comes to GIS, you can hardly find a GIS that cannot consume
Postgis, but on the other hand you hardly find a GIS that can use MySQL.

If you compare the feature set of both databases you can also see that
Postgis is way ahead of MySQL, when it comes to spatial queries,
manipulation, input/output and analysis functions.

Besides: would you want to be dependent on Oracle as the new owner of MySQL?

Just my opinion,
Andreas

On Tue, September 28, 2010 1:40 pm, maning sambale wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am intrigued by this situation as we plan to incrementally migrate
> our basemaps  to a dbase.  Both geospatial dbase are supported in
> QGIS.  We have initially tested both and it's running fine with qgis
> 1.5.  Although our test barely scratched the surface (just import,
> display and a few edits).
>
> Reading through regina's review [1]:
> "spatial functionality and speed of MySQL significantly lags that of
> SQL Server 2008 spatial and PostGIS"
>
> I am curious about the statement, mysql is one of the most widely used
> "open source" general purpose database but not very much used for
> "geo".
>
> Our plan is to use QGIS as the main data browser but there should be
> some option to consume the data in ArcGis.  Any real world scenarios
> comparing both database that can help us decide ultimately?
>
> [1]
> http://www.bostongis.com/PrinterFriendly.aspx?content_name=sqlserver2008_postgis_mysql_compare
>
> PS. I am fairly convinced with using PostGIS but other ideas are
> welcome for us to have a more informed decision. :)
> --
> cheers,
> maning

Andreas Neumann