[Qgis-user] Wikimapia and QGIS

badaveil badaveil at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 14:33:31 PDT 2011

Hi Guys,

Yesterday, I put up the following suggestion at the QGIS Forum and have been
advised to bring the matter up in the Mailing List:

Tinkering around with OpenLayers plugin, I've found it to be a very valuable
asset in being able to impress potential users how to import Google Maps as
a base. They are often excited to know this and it seems to generate wannabe
QGIS users very easily. This brings me to another source of information
namely "Wikimapia". Zooming down to information provided by users on
Malaysia, I am equally impressed by such voluminous information they have.
My humble suggestion is..."Who is kind enough to make it possible to at
least get Wikimapia viewable in QGIS just like Google Hybrid can and maybe
make it possible to import their attributes with aid of Open StreetMap". I
am sure this will intensify the popularity of QGIS.

Hoping this idea will materialize in days to come.

Thanks

Badaveil
--
*ubuntu: Linux for human beings*