[Qgis-user] Wikimapia and QGIS

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 12:22:48 PDT 2011

Hi Badaveil

> Tinkering around with OpenLayers plugin, I've found it to be a very
> valuable asset in being able to impress potential users how to import
> Google Maps as a base. They are often excited to know this and it
> seems to generate wannabe QGIS users very easily. This brings me to
> another source of information namely "Wikimapia". Zooming down to
> information provided by users on Malaysia, I am equally impressed by
> such voluminous information they have. My humble suggestion is..."Who
> is kind enough to make it possible to at least get Wikimapia viewable
> in QGIS just like Google Hybrid can and maybe make it possible to
> import their attributes with aid of Open StreetMap". I am sure this
> will intensify the popularity of QGIS.
>

> Hoping this idea will materialize in days to come.

please consider supporting the development of such tool.

Usually developing a plugin costs much less than one person can imagine.
Gathering a group of interested persons each giving a few euros it
can/should be enough. Then here around you will find many developers
available for such task.

Cheers

-- Giovanni --