[Qgis-user] Importing .png

John Abraham jabraham at ucalgary.ca
Wed Aug 24 19:12:24 PDT 2011

I've been struggling trying to get a projection on a .PNG raster file.

I have a .MAP and a .JPR file which explains the projections, they are simple UTM grids, but rotated with true north vertical instead of grid north vertical.  I'm clueless as to how to get those into QGIS.  I can't seem to edit the layer after I import it, so I probably have to figure out a way to have QGIS load projection information along with the .PNG.  I suppose it's somewhere in GDAL docs but I can't find it.

Any one willing to help?  Here is the .JPR and .MAP file, between the ***** lines.

.JPR file (from the Fugawi software:)

*****
// This file was generated automatically by MapToJpr
vr=1.12
nm=82n08
sc=50000
dm=NAD83
pr=UTM
zn=11t
rp1=51.486003, -116.481520, 237, 260
rp2=51.492051, -116.020512, 4012, 184
rp3=51.259600, -116.197441, 2565, 3225
vp1=84, 75
vp2=4181, 77
vp3=4194, 3351
vp4=75, 3352
******

.MAP file (apparently defined by oziexplorer but used by the memory-map software)

******
OziExplorer Map Data File Version 2.1
82n08.png
D:\82N08.png
1   TIFF scale factor
NAD83,WGS 84,   0.0000,   0.0000,WGS 84
Reserved 1
Reserved 2
Magnetic Variation,,,E
Map Projection,(UTM) Universal Transverse Mercator,PolyCal,No,AutoCalOnly,No,BSBUseWPX,No
Point01,xy,  237,  260,in, deg,    ,        ,N,    ,        ,W, grid, 11,     536000,    5704000,N
Point02,xy, 4012,  184,in, deg,    ,        ,N,    ,        ,W, grid, 11,     568000,    5705000,N
Point03,xy, 2565, 3225,in, deg,    ,        ,N,    ,        ,W, grid, 11,     556000,    5679000,N
Point04,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,N,    ,        ,W, grid,   ,           ,           ,N
Point05,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,N,    ,        ,W, grid,   ,           ,           ,N
Point06,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,N,    ,        ,W, grid,   ,           ,           ,N
Point07,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,N,    ,        ,W, grid,   ,           ,           ,N
Point08,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,N,    ,        ,W, grid,   ,           ,           ,N
Point09,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,N,    ,        ,W, grid,   ,           ,           ,N
Point10,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Point11,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Point12,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Point13,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Point14,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Point15,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Point16,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Point17,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Point18,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Point19,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Point20,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Point21,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Point22,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Point23,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Point24,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Point25,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Point26,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Point27,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Point28,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Point29,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Point30,xy,     ,     ,in, deg,    ,        ,,    ,        ,, grid,   ,           ,           ,
Projection Setup,,,,,,,,,,
Map Feature = MF ; Map Comment = MC     These follow if they exist
Track File = TF      These follow if they exist
Moving Map Parameters = MM?    These follow if they exist
MM0,Yes
MMPNUM,4
MMPXY,1,84,75
MMPXY,2,4181,77