[Qgis-user] problems with layers from one source

Gerardo Jimenez gejst5 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 17 05:06:44 PST 2011

The main problem could be that your layers are in different CRS. I assume that you want to use lat lon coordinates ("they should be in the range of (-87, 41)"). Because you can not have millions of degrees, it is pretty sure that the layers that display coordinates in the millions could be a CRS that defines its measuring units in meters or feets. For vector layers (and assuming a format that can store projection information), select the layer , right click, choose properties and go to the general tab. There you must be able to see the projection information. For raster layers go to rater menu,  choose Miscellaneous and select info. Choose your raster and you must be able to see the projection information there.

I like to have all my layers in the same CRS, some people also likes to use the "on the fly CRS transformation" capability of QGIS . Try in Settings, project settings and go to the CRS tab, Choose "enable on the  fly CRS transformation", then load some layers. One  thing is for sure, you must know the crs of each of your layers before starting to work with them.

Hope it helps

Gerardo Jiménez Delgado
Instituto de Investigaciones Antropológicas
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Ciudad Universitaria s/n
Coyoacan 04510
Mexico City