[Qgis-user] Public Sector Mapping Agreement

Andrew Chapman andrew.chapman at donkagen.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 03:38:26 PST 2011

I have old sample OS .gz files, but it would be best to use their current
ones. The data SHOULD be available via the "Download our sample data"
section at www.ordnancesurveymastermap.com/ (I can't find a direct link to
files), but it wouldn't work when I tried. I've reported the problem to OS
and am waiting for a human response.
A further source of additional information is the OS XML Schema Respository
www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/xml/schema/index.html, but I don't know
enough about QGIS to understand how to use these.
I've tried an old sample .gz file with both 1.6 and 1.7. Neither version
supports direct opening of .gz (which would be the simplest way for new
users), but actually open the unzipped .gml files. I have had problems in
the past with older versions of WinZip (e.g. 12.0) where they couldn't unzip
this format correctly, but gzip or other alternatives worked. The latest
WinZip (15.0.) also seems to work, although you have to enter the extension
of the file to expand, as it doesn't know to add .gml.
Unless the latest format has changed, OS uses the 'orientation' attribute
for text angle, but the value seems to be (degrees * 10). The loaded GML
layer doesn't allow editing, so it isn't possible to add a further attribute
calculated from 'orientation'. Saving as a shapefile under 1.6 fails with an
error because, when the longer GML attribute names are trimmed to ten
significant characters, there are duplicate attribute names.

Andrew