[Qgis-user] Very slow performance with large SHP files, with over 200k objects

Thiru Chandran tiruchirapalli at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 00:13:32 PST 2011

Looks like QGIS is not able to handle very large SHP files. Here we are
talking about SHP files with over 200K polygons and the one that we are over
500K objects.

Even to open, it takes quite a long, say  more than 40 seconds.

The issue is with search, if you do any attribute search then, its as good
as 5 mins to respond.

I have seen some earlier threads complaining/having the same problem.. well
any patch / progress on this?

this is a critical requirement in one of the application and without the
performance, we really cant make it.

hope to see some light on this ... can we expect this in v 1.7?

Richard.

Northern Territory
Australia