[Qgis-user] Very slow performance with large SHP files, with over 200k objects

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Mon Mar 7 00:20:52 PST 2011

Il giorno lun, 07/03/2011 alle 16.13 +0800, Thiru Chandran ha scritto:
> Looks like QGIS is not able to handle very large SHP files. Here we
> are talking about SHP files with over 200K polygons and the one that
> we are over 500K objects.

> this is a critical requirement in one of the application and without
> the performance, we really cant make it.
>

> hope to see some light on this ... can we expect this in v 1.7?

Agreed, this is a serious problem, and should be dealt with. There is a
ticket on this, please have a look to it.
Building up an index (in Vector Properties) speeds up zooming, but it
does not solve everything.
Of course you are welcome to contribute to the solution of this problem.
All the best.
--
http://www.faunalia.it/pc