[Qgis-user] Filter shape file with data in text file?

custard custard at westnet.com.au
Fri Mar 25 00:05:49 PDT 2011

----- "Ramon Andinach" <custard at westnet.com.au> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for a
> solution to this situation.
>
> I have a shapefile with a large number of polygons (in this case
> mining leases).
> I have a text file that contains a list of tenements of interest.
> I'd like to end up with a second shape file that only has the polygons
> shown in that text file.
>
> I could do it by setting up a series of filters in the General tab,
> but after about the 20th TenementID = "fish" AND "TenementID =
> "finger" it gets a little tedious.
> The tenements are not adjacent to each other so I can't really go
> through and do an area search.
>
> I have tried pulling the text file in (via delimited text) and joining
> the shapefile to it, but had errors with saving (I think because it
> thought it had polygons that it was trying to put in a point file.)
> I was not able to try it the other way around (join text to shape).
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts?
> -ramon.

Ok got it. This works fine:
http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/6398/join-non-spatial-csv-to-spatial-data-in-qgis

Have a question from that link though.
There's a suggestion in the answers that fTools can do this too.
In 1.6 I can see Data Management tools -> Join Attributes
In my 1.7 I can't (screenshots available). Is it still ment to be there? Or is the Properties/Join tab considered an adequate replacement.

-ramon.