[Qgis-user] use ESRI file geodatabase format in QGIS + gdal 1.9

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 10:56:42 PDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Even Rouault
<even.rouault at mines-paris.org>wrote:

> Le jeudi 13 octobre 2011 11:53:46, Jürgen E. Fischer a écrit :
> > Hi Rainer,
> >
> > On Thu, 13. Oct 2011 at 10:44:02 +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> > > So am I right in assuming, that if QGIS is build against e.g. gdal 1.7
> > > and I want to use gdal 1.9, I have to re-build QGIS - is this correct?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> No ;-) I use all the time my dev version of GDAL and have never recompiled
> QGIS to be able to do it (provided the GDAL version you link against QGIS
> is
> >= the GDAL version used to compile QGIS). I'm on Linux. It might perhaps
> be
> harder on other platforms : I just haven't tried to do it on them.
>
> I just have to make sure that my gdal shared object has the same name (or
> creates a symlink) as the one expected by QGIS (libgdal1.6.0.so.1 in my
> case),
> and add in LD_LIBRARY_PATH the name of the directory with this custom
> build.

That is really good to know.  Which file is the "gdal shared object"?

It would be really great, if qgis could be compilded without having gdal
actually installed, and in qgis to have a setting where to find it. This
would make qgis much more flexible to use.

Rainer

> > Jürgen

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University