[Qgis-user] Mapping in the southern hemisphere

Ramon AndiƱach custard at westnet.com.au
Wed Oct 19 15:02:45 PDT 2011

On 20/10/2011, at 3:57, Gerhardus Geldenhuis <gerhardus.geldenhuis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Some feedback:
> It works brilliantly now but the path was strewn with thorns. One more problem of my own making was that the program that I used to convert my UTM UPS format into dd mm ss.ss to do the Georeferencing uses north and south and not + and - so I had +17 instead of -17 which also did not help. This thus bring me to another question is there a way to universally change the input method of co-ordinates within a project rather than to have to convert between various formats the whole time. I thought there were but setting my project to EPSG:32735 does not change the co-ordinate input methods for the GeoReferencing plugin not thus the co-ordinates displayed in the bottom of the screen change to UTM format.

Do you mean the "on-the-fly" conversion?
It's on the CRS tab of the project settings.

Not sure what your rasters will do though. They sound like they might have +ve latitudes, in which case they probably won't plot correctly anyway.

> Regards
>
> 2011/10/19 Gerhardus Geldenhuis <gerhardus.geldenhuis at gmail.com>
> Sigh,
> Thank you for all the replies. It is bloody confusing and a barrier of entry to using GIS programs I think. I intent to write up my experience when I am done so hopefully I can contribute in some way for the next person going through this pain. It might be useful if the dialogue boxes in QGIS would make no assumptions or use specific conventions and allow one to enter all data or at least clearly see what assumptions are being made with regards to a naming standard for a grid location.

Got to make an assumption somewhere.
The Garmin GPS I've used use this system. The Magellan's just use hemisphere (like QGIS).

Personally I find the hemisphere convention much simpler to understand. For me the letter breakdown of zones doesn't relate to anything else, not even 250K map-sheets.

-ramon.