[Qgis-user] Double line Feature

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Tue Oct 25 05:08:04 PDT 2011

On 2011-10-25 13:52, Matej Mailing wrote:
> Basically we need this to define some sort of "protected area" (for
> example, 30 cm in both sides from the cable) along some
> telecommunication network cables (mainly optical) and therefore I don't
> think only the representation would be sufficient. Probably some plugin
> that would create polygon with a centralized line that we are "snapping
> to" and with defined area (width) would be even better than just two
> lines, because this way we could define some color of fill of that
> closed "part" around cable in our projects for example. Hopefully I
> explained it enough clearly, if you need more information, please let me
> know :-)

Ah, is that what you want :-)

That's called a 'Buffer' in gis terms:

- load your cable layer in qgis
- go to Vector menu and in Geoprocessing tools, choose Buffer
- there you can choose for example 20 meter, this will create a 20 meter
buffer == polygon around your lines
- by creating a second buffer of say 50 meter, and giving that another
color, I think you will have what you want

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde