[Qgis-user] Home Range calculation using Kernel density

antie66 antie66 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 6 15:43:45 PDT 2011

I recently discovered it is possible to conduct home-range analyses in QGIS
using R through Python and I am desperately trying to find a way to analyse
my data (locational data from a baboon troop, available in shapefile, .csv,
.gpx file or whatever file it takes). I want to analyse my data using a
fixed kernel density using a plug-in method (as proposed by Sheather & Jones
(1991) and described in detail in Section 3.6 of Wand & Jones (1995)). I've
tried using the 'dpik' function in the 'KernSmooth' package in R directly,
but I am too inexperienced too make it work (very frustrating!).

Can anybody let me know whether this would be possible in QGIS, before I
start the what sounds like a difficult download process?

Many thanks for any advice offered.

Louise