[Qgis-user] plugin installer with unstable internet connections

Alister Hood alister.hood at synergine.com
Tue Sep 13 14:47:38 PDT 2011

Hi,

> Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 16:49:43 +0300
> From: Janneke Qgis <janneke.qgis at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] plugin installer with unstable internet
> 	connections
> To: Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com>
> Cc: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
>
> Thanks for the quick answer, both Tim and Anita,
>
> Started copying the plugins from the following folder:
> C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\.qgis\python\plugins
>
> but got confused as I also found the following two folders:
>
> C:\Program Files\Quantum GIS Wroclaw\apps\qgis\plugins
> C:\Program Files\Quantum GIS Wroclaw\apps\qgis\python\plugins
>
> Does anything from these folders also need to be copied?
>
> Janneke

Built-in Python plugins are installed in e.g. "C:\Program Files\Quantum
GIS Wroclaw\apps\qgis\python\plugins"

C++ plugins are installed in e.g. "C:\Program Files\Quantum GIS
Wroclaw\apps\qgis\plugins"

The plugin installer only installs Python plugins, and puts them in the
user's home directory, e.g.
"C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\.qgis\python\plugins"

If you are installing Python plugins manually, it would make more sense
to put them in "C:\Program Files\Quantum GIS
Wroclaw\apps\qgis\python\plugins", instead of having to copy them into
every user's home directory.  In this case you'd probably want to
disable the plugin installer, because if at some stage a user updates
one themselves, and doesn't keep it up to date, they could end up with
an old plugin version in their home directory masking a newer one in the
program directory.
It would actually be nice if the plugin installer could put plugins in
the program installation folder ("C:\Program Files\Quantum GIS
Wroclaw\apps\qgis\python\plugins").  I think the only way to achieve
this is with the --config-path option, but that way everyone also shares
the same settings.

Alister