[Qgis-user] Best Way to Open MapInfo (Solved)

Nomeneta Saili nome.saili at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 02:41:50 PDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:05 PM, Giovanni Manghi
<giovanni.manghi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the ERDAS libraries are not open source software so cannot be included
> into QGIS (or in this case GDAL). Is the user that must to go to the
> ERDAS site, register and download the ECW/JP2 SDK accepting the (very
> restrictive) license.
>
> Once installed you will find a a folder "redistributable" where you can
> find 4 .dlls you need to copy to the proper folder: system32 (not
> suggested) or osgeo4w/bin (suggested).
>
> QGIS need to be installed with the osgeo4w installer, advanced install
> option, that will allow you to select the "gdal-ecw" package, the
> connector between those .dlls and GDAL.
>
> Unfortunately you cannot use the latest ECW/JP2 SDK, because the package
> gdal-ecw has not been updated yet, so you need the previous version,
> which is no more available for download in the ERDAS site (you may
> always ask for a link).
>
> The file you need is
>
> ECWJP2SDKSetup_RO_20100920.exe
>
> which I cannot send you because is against the ERDAS license.
>

> This seems a painful process, but is not that complicated: once is done
> you don't have to think anymore about it.
>
> In any case is what you get when you have to cope with proprietary
> formats.
>
> Screencast here
>
> http://ubuntuone.com/p/12sy/
>

> PS
> Please keep the discussion on-list
>

> Cheers
>

> -- Giovanni --
>

> On Thu, 2011-09-22 at 21:36 -1100, Nomeneta Saili wrote:
>> Thanks a lot for the quick response man,
>>
>> I am still new to this stuff so i hope you don't mind me asking. Is
>> the EREDAS libiary something i download and install or do i need to
>> install and ERADAS porgram?.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Nome

>> > QGIS support any raster format supported by GDAL, so all the above (for
>> > ecw you need the necessary libraries from ERDAS)

>> > add overviews.
>> >

>> > cheers
>> >
>> > -- Giovanni --

Thanks again for the detail help. Much appreciated. Now able to open
ECW and the lot.

It's interesting though that my jpegs takes ages to load/render but my
ECW, GRD which are larger opens at lighting speed. Much faster than on
MapInfo.

I have moved on from MapInfo now and i am recommending everyone that
are looking at GIS in my small part of the world (south pacific) to go
with QGIS. Thanks again to all the great people that made this
software possible. From a person living in a least developed country i
can tell you QGIS is a huge deal for the development of GIS in our
small corner of the world.

Also thanks again for the great support on this forum. This is the
only opensource forum i feel welcomed as a newbie. Thank you. Faafetai
tele lava.

Regards,

Nome