[Qgis-user] Python challenges under OS X Lion

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Sep 23 12:17:51 PDT 2011

Well, there's QGIS plugins and Python modules.  And there's different Python versions.

Easy_install works with python modules, and some modules may include compiled coded needing Xcode, and others may be pure python, no Xcode needed.  QGIS itself handles QGIS plugins, no Xcode needed.

QGIS plugins may need python modules to work.

So, for QGIS 1.7 in Lion, it's a bit of a problem because the Snow Leopard package runs on Lion just fine, but uses the System Python 2.6.  If there are any Python modules needed by QGIS plugins, those modules must be installed for Python 2.6 for QGIS plugins to see them.  easy_install will install for Python 2.7 (it may be possible to install for 2.6).

I haven't rebuilt QGIS 1.7 for Lion.  At first I thought 1.7.1 was imminent, but that was stalled, then Qt needed an update for Lion, now I'm just lazy and waiting for 1.7.1 still.

If you're willing to work on the edge, my QGIS dev build is made for Lion and the system Python 2.7, so you can easy_install any Python modules needed.  Or install my Python modules where available (ie psycopg2).