[Qgis-user] bessel ellipsoid 1841

Barend Köbben kobben at itc.nl
Tue Sep 27 00:16:53 PDT 2011

FYI, the proj string does have a datum, one based on the Bessel ellipsoid
(which is a datum), but I agree with giovanni that the proj=longlat is
unlikely to be correct for your map. Neighbouring Netherlands uses the
Bessel datum, and a double stereographic projection (It's epsg:28992). But
also it is doubtful that was used in the 19th century (sorry). Nowadays
Germany uses Gauss-Kruger, Münsterland would be in EPSG Projection 31466 -
DHDN / 3-degree Gauss-Kruger zone 2 ...

--
Barend Köbben
ITC - University of Twente, Faculty of Geo-Information