[Qgis-user] [Off-Topic]Tips on buying a new laptop

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Sep 28 00:28:16 PDT 2011

On 09/28/2011 12:10 AM, percy langa wrote:
> Heya,
>
> So I've decided to register for a GIS Module, along with other modules as
> part of a Bsc Hons Geography Degree.
>
> The good news is that this is an opportunity to get a new laptop, a fresh
> start :) The not-so-good news is that the GIS course is based on IDRISI
> (well, I have never used IDRISI, and I am really liking QGIS at the moment).
>
> So, I wanna get a feel on what laptop hardware are people running for GIS:
>
> - SSD vs HDD
> - RAM type and speed
> - Video/Graphics
> - Main Screen (15'', 17'', etc)
> - Secondary Screen (20'', 22'', 24'', etc)
> - Glossy vs Matte Screens
> - Screen Resolutions
> - Motherboard
> - Processor
> - Peripherals and Ports
> - Battery packs
>
> and, finally:
>
> - OS or OSes
> - 32bit vs 64bit
>
> Besides GIS, this new laptop will do all the normal home tasks incl movie
> playback. No games (well, maybe Angry Birds, Mario Brothers and
> Classic Arcades).
>
> I am not too perturbed about brands as, over the years, I have switched
> between Lenovo, ACER, Samsung, HP and Apple. Lenovo topped the charts for
> me. Dell would make an interesting case study :)
>
> Many thanks,
> Percy

SSD - Though it takes some care to set it up right and make sure you
have backups. Intels are the most reliable but most expensive. I'm
trying a Mushkin right now. OCZ while the "fastest" has the most drives
dying based on reviews.
RAM - 4Gb
Video - Discrete ATI or Nvidia 256 MB or more
Screen - Depends on how big of thing you want to lug around 15" wide is
pretty big.
Second Screen - Whatever you get a good deal on
iCore5 best bang for $
USB, USB, USB, USB ...
Opt for whatever the bigger battery is if you want battery life
64 bit

Lenovo, Acer, Asus, Apple - If you want long term quality buy the
business line not the consumer lines.

I have an Asus, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 256MB, 115 GB SSD, 13" wide - already 3
years old, only thing I've done is swap for the SSD recently.

Want more details email me off list..
FYI I'm running Ubuntu 64 bit with a windows 7 VM that runs Arc well
enough for me to teach with it.

Alex