[Qgis-user] [Off-Topic]Tips on buying a new laptop

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Sep 28 01:54:36 PDT 2011

 I would mainly make sure you have enough RAM and an OS that can benefit
 of the additional RAM. I would recommend at least 4GB RAM, better 8.

 Linux 64bit should be able to use the additional RAM, the Win32 QGIS
 cannot use more than 2 or 3GB. As far as I know there is no 64bit
 Windows version available.

 If you can afford the SSD it certainly helps. I have a new Macbook Pro
 with a SSD running on Ubuntu 64bit. It is very fast, but expensive.

 Andreas

 On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 09:41:23 +0200, percy langa wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Alex Mandel  wrote:
>
>> Video - Discrete ATI or Nvidia 256 MB or more
>
>  I take that Ubuntu runs well on both Nvidia and ATI. My experience
> with Ubuntu PPC 9.04 and 10.04 on Apple's Powerbook G4 nvidia chips
> (as compared to ATIs) is rather bad (choppy, buggy, slow and no 3d
> acceleration).
>
>> I have an Asus, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 256MB, 115 GB SSD, 13" wide -
>> already 3 years old, only thing I've done is swap for the SSD
>> recently.
>
> That's cool! I definitely wanna give a SSD a go.
>
> Thanks mate for the pointers :)
>
> Percy
>
> Links:
> ------