[Qgis-user] Incorrect placement of ABC labels

magerlin MAP at ramboll.dk
Wed Aug 1 01:24:03 PDT 2012

Nick Hopton wrote

> magerlin wrote
>>
>> But it seems ABC is rather poor at calculating the centroids.
>>

> I don't think this is the case, so far as I know there is no rule that
> says that the centroid of a polygon has to lie within the polygon. If the
> polygon was banana-shaped for example its centroid would almost certainly
> lie outside of its boundary.
>
> Nick.

Hi Nick

You are right about the possible placement of centroids outside the polygon
but as you can see from the screen dump in my original post Qgis is fully
able to calculate the expected centroids (the brown dots), but ABC labels
are apparently placed using an other algorithm even if centroid placement is
requested?

-----
Regards Morten

Qgis 1.8.0 Stand alone installer in Win7 64 bit