[Qgis-user] Composer problems.

Chandra Shekhar Balachandran csbalachandran at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 03:52:19 PDT 2012

I am a new user and returning to some simple GIS work to create maps for
geography education in Bangalore, India.

I have been doing some trial runs.

I use two systems:

   1. A MacBook Pro running OS X Lion 10.7.3. My Q-GIS is version 1.7.4
      1. I have created (from a variety of sources) a set of layers of maps
      of the state of Karnataka (India).
      2. In my output, I wish to show, along with the other map elements:
         1. Lat/Long *tics* (rather than full lines or dots) -- if there is
         an option for this, how do I do it?
         2. *A scale bar using "Km" as my units.* This requires a
         projection to be set (CRS). I chose

         Kalianpur 1975  UTM zone 44N EPSG:24344
         3.   However, when I try to set the options for the grid in the
      composer, Q-GIS just hangs with the mac's rainbow wheel spinning
endlessly
      (and psychedelically), leaving me with no option but to power the system
      off manually. This has happened *every* time (I have tried all manner of
      things ... 17 times ... same result).
   2. *PC running Windows X*, with about 1GB RAM. In the composer, I
   accidentally clicked the facility that gives me the various controls to
   design the map, the grid, scale bar, etc. How do I get it back? If i get it
   back, perhaps I could try the projections at least there and see if it
   works.
   3. On *both systems*, I saved the work in the composer as I went along.
   It saved it as a QPT file. However, when I tried to pick up where I left
   off by opening the saved QPT file, nothing happened.

I need to be able to use BOTH machines. So, I need answers to all of the
above queries.

I thought I'd install the latest version, but the Readme file put the fear
of whatnot in me by saying that once saved in the new version of Q-GIS, the
projects will not work in the older version.

Any help rendered in simple English (opensource help info is difficult for
me to understand as i am also new to using open source software). :-)

Many thanks.
CSB