[Qgis-user] Composer problems.

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Wed Aug 1 13:28:02 PDT 2012

Hi

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Chandra Shekhar Balachandran
<csbalachandran at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a new user and returning to some simple GIS work to create maps for
> geography education in Bangalore, India.
>
> I have been doing some trial runs.
>
> I use two systems:
>
> A MacBook Pro running OS X Lion 10.7.3. My Q-GIS is version 1.7.4
>
> I have created (from a variety of sources) a set of layers of maps of the
> state of Karnataka (India).
> In my output, I wish to show, along with the other map elements:
>
> Lat/Long tics (rather than full lines or dots) -- if there is an option for
> this, how do I do it?

I don't understand the above question -do you mean a grid overlay on
the map that show lat/lon intersections? You can do this by choosing
grid style to be crosses.

> A scale bar using "Km" as my units. This requires a projection to be set
> (CRS). I chose
>
> Kalianpur 1975  UTM zone 44N EPSG:24344
>
>   However, when I try to set the options for the grid in the composer, Q-GIS
> just hangs with the mac's rainbow wheel spinning endlessly (and
> psychedelically), leaving me with no option but to power the system off
> manually. This has happened *every* time (I have tried all manner of things
> ... 17 times ... same result).

Probably you will need to share some sample data so that someone can test it.

> PC running Windows X, with about 1GB RAM. In the composer, I accidentally
> clicked the facility that gives me the various controls to design the map,
> the grid, scale bar, etc. How do I get it back?

Right click any blank area of hte toolbar and tick the item properties box.

 If i get it back, perhaps I
> could try the projections at least there and see if it works.
> On both systems, I saved the work in the composer as I went along. It saved
> it as a QPT file. However, when I tried to pick up where I left off by
> opening the saved QPT file, nothing happened.
>
> I need to be able to use BOTH machines. So, I need answers to all of the
> above queries.

You do understand that this is a community mailing list where people
voluntarily share their time and expertise to help each other right?
Making these kind of demands isn't going to motivate people to help
you....

> I thought I'd install the latest version, but the Readme file put the fear
> of whatnot in me by saying that once saved in the new version of Q-GIS, the
> projects will not work in the older version.

Why not just make a copy of your file before testing with the newer version?

> Any help rendered in simple English (opensource help info is difficult for
> me to understand as i am also new to using open source software). :-)

Its just like any other software except that the people who make it
care more about intellectual freedom than proprietary vendors do....

Have fun!

Tim

> Many thanks.
> CSB