[Qgis-user] Load OpenStreetMap in qgis as raster layer without the openlayer plugin

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Sat Aug 4 23:53:24 PDT 2012

Am 04.08.2012 18:41, schrieb Andre Joost:
> Am 04.08.2012 11:48, schrieb marco bra:
>> Want to share something, i found useful, about loading gdal generates
>> tiles
>> as raster layer in qgis:
>>
>> http://www.3liz.com/blog/rldhont/index.php?post/2012/07/17/OpenStreetMap-Tiles-in-QGIS
>>
>> this method can be used also to speedup qgis-mapserver rendering
>>

> Sounds simple, but the result looks a bit weired. The latest version of
> openlayers plugin allows freely all zoom scales, with quit good tile
> resizing.

Just discovered two things:
Changing EPSG to 3857 makes the TMS compatible with Openlayers plugin,
looking much better. 900913 and 3857 should be principally the same, but
Qgis makes some reprojection which makes the TMS tiles rather weired in
3857 projects.

And with TMS I can use self-made transparent overlay tiles, setting the
transparency color manually to RGB 0-0-0. Thats the only thing I can not
do with Openlayers plugin at the moment.

HTH,
André Joost