[Qgis-user] Google map request limits?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Aug 14 17:00:18 PDT 2012

On Aug 14, 2012, at 3:17 PM, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:

> On 08/14/2012 04:04 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>> I'm thinking of adding a Google layer to check some data.  I remember hearing that the Google plugin (whatever it's called) had a limit on how many image requests it could make per day.  Does the OpenLayers plugin have any limit for a Google layer?
>
> I'm an extensive user of the 'OpenLayers plugin', and never have had any problems with the number of images.
> The premium key Yves is talking about is only for really heavy traffing generating websites.
> And IF you have Google Troubles, there is also the OpenStreetmap (and/or?? Bing layer... not sure of this one).
>
> So I would say: go :-)

I poked around at Google.  Premium is probably the business API.  It looks like the free maps API allows 25,000 map requests per day.  That is quite a few.

Further reading of the faq shows a potential future problem - the static map API (which I assume is what the plugin uses) used to not require a key, but now does, but it still supports old applications that don't use a key.  Maybe someday this will change, requiring users to get their own key to configure with the plugin (capability would have to be added to the plugin).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do if you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer, I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy