[Qgis-user] Accessing an Oracle database, natively or through ArcSDE

Jonathan Moules jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk
Wed Aug 15 02:09:40 PDT 2012

Hi List,
I'm investigating QGIS as a possible suplement to our corporate systems
(ArcGIS/MapInfo). We store all of our vector data in an Oracle Locator
database and can either connect to it directly or through ArcSDE.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem that QGIS is able to natively connect to
either of these.

I've done some brief searching, but most of the results point to
qgis.orgwhich isn't responding for me currently. What I can find
suggests that most
things want to go either either OGR or GDAL as an intermediary layer, but
I'm concerned these will greatly slow down data loading (some of our layers
are very big, including Ordnance Survey MasterMap).

So my question is simple - what would be the optimal way for QGIS to read
this data (we're not interested in writing)?

Thanks,
Jonathan

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us,  including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.