[Qgis-user] Accessing an Oracle database, natively or through ArcSDE

Alister Hood Alister.Hood at synergine.com
Thu Aug 23 23:42:50 PDT 2012

Hi,

> Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:09:40 +0100
> From: Jonathan Moules <jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk>
> To: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
> Subject: [Qgis-user] Accessing an Oracle database, natively or through
> 	ArcSDE
>
> Hi List,
> I'm investigating QGIS as a possible suplement to our corporate systems
> (ArcGIS/MapInfo). We store all of our vector data in an Oracle Locator
> database and can either connect to it directly or through ArcSDE.
> Unfortunately it doesn't seem that QGIS is able to natively connect to
> either of these.
>
> I've done some brief searching, but most of the results point to
> qgis.orgwhich isn't responding for me currently. What I can find suggests
> that most things want to go either either OGR or GDAL as an intermediary
> layer, but I'm concerned these will greatly slow down data loading (some
> of our layers are very big, including Ordnance Survey MasterMap).

Did you make any progress with this after the server came back up?
I guess you are using Windows (not that I would recommend doing so :) ).
The gdal-sde plugins I posted on the old forum don't work with the latest gdal.  But I extracted some new ones from http://dl.maptools.org/dl/ms4w/ms4w_3.0.6.zip and they seem to work fine (I finally found a publicly accessible server that I could successfully test with!).

> So my question is simple - what would be the optimal way for QGIS to read
> this data (we're not interested in writing)?

Can your server not provide WFS?  If you could enable it easily on the server I would have thought that would be the easiest and most flexible option.