[Qgis-user] Accessing an Oracle database, natively or through ArcSDE

Jonathan Moules jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk
Fri Aug 31 04:50:05 PDT 2012

HI Alistair,
Good point, I didn't think about sending the data via WFS, but the problem
there is you've got yet another intermediate layer to set up and maintain
(ArcSDE one too many if you ask me!). A direct connect would obviate that
problem which is why its our preferred solution. The fewer pieces of
middleware we need to support and maintain, the better.
Thanks though,
Jonathan

On 24 August 2012 07:42, Alister Hood <Alister.Hood at synergine.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:09:40 +0100
> > From: Jonathan Moules <jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk>
> > To: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
> > Subject: [Qgis-user] Accessing an Oracle database, natively or through
> >       ArcSDE
> >
> > Hi List,
> > I'm investigating QGIS as a possible suplement to our corporate systems
> > (ArcGIS/MapInfo). We store all of our vector data in an Oracle Locator
> > database and can either connect to it directly or through ArcSDE.
> > Unfortunately it doesn't seem that QGIS is able to natively connect to
> > either of these.
> >
> > I've done some brief searching, but most of the results point to
> > qgis.orgwhich isn't responding for me currently. What I can find suggests
> > that most things want to go either either OGR or GDAL as an intermediary
> > layer, but I'm concerned these will greatly slow down data loading (some
> > of our layers are very big, including Ordnance Survey MasterMap).
>
> Did you make any progress with this after the server came back up?
> I guess you are using Windows (not that I would recommend doing so :) ).
> The gdal-sde plugins I posted on the old forum don't work with the latest
> gdal.  But I extracted some new ones from
> http://dl.maptools.org/dl/ms4w/ms4w_3.0.6.zip and they seem to work fine
> (I finally found a publicly accessible server that I could successfully
> test with!).
>

> > So my question is simple - what would be the optimal way for QGIS to read
> > this data (we're not interested in writing)?
>
> Can your server not provide WFS?  If you could enable it easily on the
> server I would have thought that would be the easiest and most flexible
> option.

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us,  including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.