[Qgis-user] using spatialite files for data sharing?

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 07:28:20 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Alexander Bruy
<alexander.bruy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2012/8/16 Etienne Tourigny <etourigny.dev at gmail.com>:
>> Second (and my preferred) is to store them in a single spatialite file
>> (or several, depending on file size).
>
> I'll recommend SpatiaLite and/or PostGIS. But as you already mention,
> SpatiaLite currently has very limited support in proprietary GIS. AFAIK,
> ArcMap and MapInfo don't support it.

Spatialite is much easier to share than postgis.

that's what I was afraid of - athough I did find some partial
information on upcoming support and using plugins, is that possible?

>> Also, what is support for spatialite inside QGis and the various
>> sextante back-ends, esp. R - both standalone and inside sextante? I am
>> asking this because as far as I know, many qgis tools export to
>> shapefile only, so storing everything in spatialite could represent
>> complications down the road.
>
> As I know, SEXTANTE works with data using qgis layers interface, so
> input format (shape or SpatiaLite) doesn't matter

for input I know it's ok, I am wondering about generating spatialite
files and in-place editing (without doing sql). For example, currently
ftools output to shapefile only, correct?

thanks,
Etienne