[Qgis-user] QGIS running on RHEL 5 Thin Client Network

Proctor, Nathanael nproctor at tamu.edu
Thu Aug 16 14:57:15 PDT 2012

Hello QGIS users group,
I am looking for details about the capabilities of running QGIS on thin clients running on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (64 bit currently version 5 soon to upgrade to 6).
Our thin clients have:
1.5GHz processor
> 1GB disk space
896MB ram

My understanding is that the ArcGIS requirements are:
2.2GHz processor
2.4GB disk space
2GB ram
Which exceeds our thin client capacity.

Does anyone know the min and recommended requirements for QGIS to run on a thin client?
Final question does anyone have a side-by-side functionality comparison of ArcGIS 10 and QGIS 1.8?
Our company currently is licensed for ESRI ArcGIS 10 but this is using Windows Desktops. If QGIS can run on our current RHEL 5 64 Bit thin client network we would like to add it to the system.

Thanks

Nathanael Proctor
nproctor at tamu.edu