[Qgis-user] QGIS running on RHEL 5 Thin Client Network

fork forkandwait at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 16:19:41 PDT 2012

Proctor, Nathanael <nproctor at ...> writes:

> Hello QGIS users group,
> I am looking for details about the capabilities of running QGIS on thin
clients running on a Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux Server (64 bit currently version 5 soon to upgrade to 6).

I don't know RHEL, but perhaps this would be useful:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Enterprise_Linux_GIS

There are also links on the QGIS downloads page:

http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/wiki/Download

If you have a test machine, I would just try it -- my guess is that QGIS will
run on almost anything built in the last 10 years (Android, Mac OS X, etc...),
it is just performance that might suffer.

As for a comparison between ArcGIS and QGIS, it might be a moot point if you are
running Linux, no matter what your hardware -- there is no ArcGIS for Linux,
period, as far as I know.  Google turns up a bunch of short comparisons (try
it), but nothing very definitive.  My take is that cartography, network analyst,
and other advanced tools might be better in ArcGIS, but for plain old data
visualization, overlays, and good enough maps, QGIS is actually better (faster,
less quirky).  I do most of my data manipulation in SQL (PostGIS or Spatialite),
so I can't comment on the things like clip etc.