[Qgis-user] Problem with missing .prj file

Proctor, Nathanael nproctor at tamu.edu
Fri Aug 17 07:49:07 PDT 2012

I have searched the web and read the user group and found that there might be a problem with ftools when trying to define a projection for a dataset missing a .prj file (http://hub.qgis.org/issues/5257).

I have attached an example that I need help with.
The charley_post.zip fileset has the wind speed data for Hurricane Charlie (see http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/Storm_pages/charley2004/wind.html for source). Notice there is no .prj file and I have searched the NOAA website for any metadata without luck.

The states_reproject dataset is the US Census tiger file for state boundaries transformed to the North American Lambert Conformal Conic CRS (+proj=lcc +lat_1=20 +lat_2=60 +lat_0=40 +lon_0=-96 +x_0=0 +y_0=0 +ellps=GRS80 +datum=NAD83 +units=m +no_defs).
I would like to define the wind data to the ALCC CRS, if it works the data should overlay southern Florida.
Thanks for any help,
Nathanael

SOURCE FILES: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8si79e3wxcsj6x6/Problem%20with%20dataset%20missing%20prj.zip

Nathanael Proctor