[Qgis-user] OpenLayers behaves differently (Linux vs. Windows)

Jeffrey Durrence jeffrey.durrence at mcleanengineering.com
Fri Aug 24 15:49:34 PDT 2012

I have a mix of Linux (typically Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit) and (typically XP or Win7) on which I use QGIS 1.8 connected to Postgres/PostGIS (8.4 or 9.1 for PostgreSQL and 1.5 for PostGIS).  When possible, I pull the PostGIS layers from the same host, but I add SHP/WMS/OpenLayers from a variety of sources depending on what I'm working on.  My OpenLayers plugin (0.93) was installed by adding a repository after it disappeared from the "standard" list after the QGIS 1.8 install.

Recently I observed that my PostGIS layers were not matching well with the layers added via the OpenLayers plugin.  I'm accustomed to seeing small discrepancies that I usually disregard, but this appeared as a constant shift between the underlying image layer and my vector layer(s).  By accident I discovered that this occurs on my Linux desktop and not Windows boxes.  I've tried starting from scratch and following the same steps on the Linux desktop and then a Windows desktop, and I can repeat this.

In my tests I've also confirmed that saving a selection as a new shape file with a different projection produces a different result on the Windows and Linux boxes.  The layers that I'm trying to overlay are ESPG:2240.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has observed this.  Thanks for any help you can provide!
--
Jeffrey Durrence
McLean Engineering Company
jeffrey.durrence at mcleanengineering.com