[Qgis-user] Ftools and MMqgis behave differently

Gerardo Jimenez gejst5 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 30 06:30:42 PDT 2012

Hi Nick! Thanks for your time in this.
I do the following
1.  I load   poitsccl shape file. CRS is Lambert conformal conic for México. Q gis recognizes it as a custom CRS. I enable on the fly crs transformation2. I load MMqgis and Mqgis2 shape files. These are the ones created with MMqgis. Both are latlon with grs80 datum (Itry to play with INEGI's rules, ITRF CRS)3. I load Testgrid and testgrid2 shapes. These are the ones created with ftools. Both are latlon with grs 80 datum
I notice that the ones created with ftools are straight lines on the limits that you define not the interval ones. This is to say, for instance,  if you want to make a grid with 2 degrees of longitude and 1 of latitutude as the limits with intervals each 15 minutes, Ftools creates meridians of 2 degrees separated by 15 miutes each one. Paralels the same.
MMqgis does create segments of 15 minutes and finishes them at the limits you define. I notice this, if, for instance, you densify the lines with a 100 new nodes, the ftools layers will crate 100 new nodes only. In the layers created with mmqgis, densify will create  100 nodes each 15 minutes.  This is why I think it is better to use the mmqgis grids.
I think the way f tools creates the features makes all the diference.

Thanks for your time Nick!
Saludos from sunny Mexico

Gerardo Jiménez Delgado
Instituto de Investigaciones Antropológicas
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Ciudad Universitaria s/n
Coyoacan 04510
Mexico City