[Qgis-user] Creating simple choropleths in Q1.8

Roy Marsh roymarsh11 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 14:19:10 PDT 2012

IN QGIS 1.8 I want to create a simple choropleth to show 5 bands for a
range of numeric values
I open Properties /Style for the vector layer and choose Legend Type
'Continuous Colour'
This should allow me to group values in a specified field into meaningful
bands
Unfortunately, the 'classification field' box is greyed out in the dialogue
box, so no existing fields are selectable
Strangely, if a new field is created, this becomes one of the selectable
fields in the 'Classification field' box

Surely the system should not behave like this?

Roy