[Qgis-user] Let's discuss on a Mask feature

haubourg regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr
Fri Dec 7 01:40:34 PST 2012

Hi All,
users often ask me how they can mask parts of their map that are not inside
their area of interest.
As a quick an fast answer, we developped Mask plugin available on
repository.  It take selected objects of a polygon layer, and creates a new
memory layer, populated with a great rectangle with holes in place of
selected objects. We have that way a layer that can  be drawn on top of
others, masking features.

*We miss two main features:
   - draw labels only for objects parts inside mask*
   - *have the ability to generate a mask on the fly when using Atlas tool
in Master.* That means, each time Map in composer in Atlas is zoomed on, we
would like to generate a map of coverage object. We would also like to be
able to generate a mask with buffer options to allow to show beiond strict
boundary of mask.

*Do others need this?*

*Dear dev's, does that sound possible, and not too a CPU killer task? *I
guess intersecting all objects on screen with some complex polygons could be
hard. What about invalid polygons? Should we suggest simplifying mask
polygons on the fly?

Please tell me about this, I would be happy to fund this If everybody agrees
with that need and implementation.