[Qgis-user] Area calculation in field calculator

Harish harry.om2000 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 02:46:09 PDT 2012

1-
I converted projection 4326 to 32643(UTM zone 43N) to get are calculation.
I used geometry operator as $area with creating a new field of decimal
(real) type with width 10 and 2 precision. I tried with different widths
and precisions, every time there are 7-8 digits after decimal, like,
2361773.81506348
2895003.41503906
1384160.6237793
10020411.4874268

2
Further I read in new functionality list of QGIS1.8 that area/length etc.
may be calculated by using project (if in metric units) CRS in QGIS 1.8,
without changing original CRS of layer if it is in Geographic coordinates.
Is this feature available in 1.8?

Regards

OS-Windows7, QGIS 1.8 stand alone

--
Harish Kumar Solanki, Assistant Professor
National Institute of Rural Development (NIRD),