[Qgis-user] QGIS presence at the AGIT conference in Salzburg

Werner Macho werner.macho at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 11:42:54 PDT 2012

Hi!

Well, my short impressions from agit:

A lot of people are already looking for Open Source Solutions since they
seem to have realized that even a Company can die. So the idea behind
Open Source (having the source available) can sometimes be more reliable
than closed source and having to switch to a completely different software.
People were very enthusiastic about seeing SEXTANTE in QGIS. I mentioned
"experimental" a lot of times during my session and also wrote it in red
letters. I hope that people understand that it is a very young project
and needs to settle down and become stable before you can  rely on it
(although it's already very stable for a lot of functions).
Regarding the Icon theme I support Anita - we should definitely switch
to the gis theme. Probably we will get a lot of complaints in the
beginning (and have to rework a lot of documentation - which is in
progress right now anyway) but all in all (especially when you see and
use the wxwindows GRASS Interface) it becomes clearly the better approach.
The overall impression to me is that People take at least a look at Open
Source although they still do not "trust" the model behind it. But it
seems that the situation gets better more and more.
As a Conclusion I can say that the booth near the OSM Project was nearly
perfect as it made a "symbioses". People were sent to QGIS from them
asking how they can "use" the data from Openstreetmap while "we" sent
them to OSM when they were asking for free data near their home.

kind regards
Werner