[Qgis-user] contour plugin

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Thu Jul 12 09:12:51 PDT 2012

On 07/12/2012 05:23 PM, David M. Lawrence wrote:
> Dear all:
>
> I tried all of this -- contour does work on my machine with a dataset
> I downloaded from an online tutorial, so I think the problem may be
> with my data instead.  The tutorial's data were obtained from an
> evenly spaced grid.
>
> My data are not evenly spaced. They are soundings (depth measurements)
> from a quarry linked to geographic data obtained via a GPS receiver.
> The measurements are irregularly spaced.

In that case I'd definitely suggest you first create an interpolated
raster (DEM) from the points. Then use that raster to extract contour
lines. GRASS is one possible tool for this. The relevant modules would be:

v.in.ascii     (to get your points into a GRASS point vector)
g.region     (to set the region to the area covered by the points, and
choose a suitable resolution)
v.surf.rst     (to interpolate the points and create a DEM raster)
r.contour     (to delineate vector contour lines from the DEM )
v.out.ogr     (if you need to export the GRASS contour vector to other
formats)

WIth only 900 points the above should be no more than a few minutes...

HTH,
Micha

--
Micha Silver