[Qgis-user] contour plugin

David J. Bakeman dbakeman at comcast.net
Thu Jul 12 09:37:14 PDT 2012

Micha Silver wrote:
> On 07/12/2012 05:23 PM, David M. Lawrence wrote:
>> Dear all:
>>
>> I tried all of this -- contour does work on my machine with a dataset
>> I downloaded from an online tutorial, so I think the problem may be
>> with my data instead.  The tutorial's data were obtained from an
>> evenly spaced grid.
>>
>> My data are not evenly spaced. They are soundings (depth
>> measurements) from a quarry linked to geographic data obtained via a
>> GPS receiver.  The measurements are irregularly spaced.
>
> In that case I'd definitely suggest you first create an interpolated
> raster (DEM) from the points. Then use that raster to extract contour
> lines. GRASS is one possible tool for this. The relevant modules would
> be:
>
> v.in.ascii     (to get your points into a GRASS point vector)
> g.region     (to set the region to the area covered by the points, and
> choose a suitable resolution)
> v.surf.rst     (to interpolate the points and create a DEM raster)
> r.contour     (to delineate vector contour lines from the DEM )
> v.out.ogr     (if you need to export the GRASS contour vector to other
> formats)
>
> WIth only 900 points the above should be no more than a few minutes...
I've had trouble using grass (my fault not grass's:) but once you have
your vector layer in qgis you can also use the Raster/Analysis/Grid tool
to create the raster (this uses the gdal tool gdal_grid) and then use
the Raster/Extraction/Contour (again this uses another gdal tool).  I've
had pretty good luck with this method.  You probably have to save your
vector data as a shapefile first but gdal also has direct support for
csv so maybe not.