[Qgis-user] QGIS presence at the AGIT conference in Salzburg

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 07:23:29 PDT 2012

Hi all

Thanks for the report, Andreas. Here's my two cents:

First of all I am happy that the workshop was accepted by the AGIT
team even though the deadline of the Call for Workshops was over.

So next year I hope we come up earlier with a workshop submission.
Actually I think that the next CfP will already weill be issued in
december this year! As you may have realized is that the gvSIG user
community even went a step further and organized a user meeting during
the conference.

Regarding the feedback to QGIS the most important issues already have
been said. Being someone who teaches at university level using QGIS I
only want to add following some specific issues which persistently
come up from new users:

First, some defaults configuration seem to be quite suboptimal and it
would be easy to assign the task of an optimized default setting to
some sort of "user experience" (UX) team.

Second, the testing of the windows version often seems to be neglected
or behind the "hardcore linux" committers.

Third, the whole handling of the CRS seems to be suboptimal: I'm
referring specifically to the layer CRS settings (accessed by the
context menu in the layer list to the left). In the dialog there,
there currently (1.7/1.8) is no clue which is the CRS which is
currently active (or "set").

Finally, there are more than one "modules", where there exists an
"old" and a "new" implementation of the same functionality, like the
labelling engine. At least for new users I would expect that the new
functionality should be activated (maintainers of legacy applications
should be experienced enough to "switch" and configure back since they
have to test new QGIS version anyway).

Yours, Stefan