[Qgis-user] Getting landuse information for several circular polygons

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Mon Jul 16 19:26:24 PDT 2012

Manuel,

I am not aware of any specific tutorials for doing this work in QGIS.

No offense but these tasks are relatively basic. Your comment "I found
this task kind of difficult to do in QGIS" is suggestive that you have
difficulty in either basic GIS concepts or extrapolating your existing
knowledge from a commercial package to QGIS.

*Assuming you stick with QGIS*

Micha Silver has provided a tutorial called "GIS basics with Quantum
GIS" http://www.osgeo.org/node/1058 that may help you master the basics.

The QGIS website has a great section called "How do I do that in QGIS?"
that covers alot of material
http://hub.qgis.org/projects/quantum-gis/wiki/How_do_I_do_that_in_QGIS#How-do-I-do-that-in-QGIS.
Note the large number of videos on youtube -- sometimes seeing it done
can help.

*Assuming you are considering an alternative*

The OSGeo Educational Content Inventory also has a wide variety of other
educational material available that might also help fill in the gaps.
http://www.osgeo.org/educational_content

Finally, QGIS is not the only fosGIS out there. Check out what is on
offer on the LiveDVD (http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc).

Personally, I found using gvSIG relatively easy when moving from
ArcView. Unfortunately the bulk of the tutorials are in Spanish; unlike
QGIS which are predominantly in English. See my website for details and
a list of ecological tutorials I have prepared to date.

*Final Comment*

All this material is predicated by the premise that you actually know
what things are called. Reprojection and transformation is a good
example. Projection, SRS and CRS another. When stuck, posing a problem
on the forums can help as others can help you with terminology and
suggest methods to solve you problems.

I hope this helps.

On 17/07/12 11:50, Manuel SpĂ­nola wrote:
> What I am trying to do is a very common task in landscape ecology.  The
> buffer could be considered a landscape for some species and some metrics
> could be obtained for these "landscapes", however, I found this task
> kind of difficult to do in QGIS.  Any input on this?  Is there any
> oriented landscape ecology tutorial for QGIS.

[snip]

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides
    Introduction               http://www.fossworkflowguides.com
    GIS Packages           http://www.fossworkflowguides.com/gis
    bash / Python    http://www.fossworkflowguides.com/scripting